Saturday, February 13, 2010

Last Night in Twisted River

If you've ever read a John Irving book and liked it, you'll LOVE this one. At least I did :) His storytelling is so unique...it's a nice change of pace from the usual start-to-finish type of storytelling. You get to know the characters bit by bit throughout the book. He writes in a "flashback" sort of way but it's so creatively done that's it's not overwhelming and boring. And it all ties together so well!

This one is about a father and son who are on the run after the son accidentally mistakes the father's lover for a bear and kills her. It spans 5 decades of their lives in the US and Canada and the people they meet are fascinating and lovable. It's kind of a sad story but the ending turns out pretty well. But, it's a lot like real life in that there are ups/downs and consequences for your actions.

I've read quite a few of his books. Some are fantastic (Cider House Rules, World According to Garp, Prayer for Owen Meany (one of my faves!!) ) and some of his books I really wasn't able to get into, let alone finish. This one has kind of a slow start, but stick with it and it gets REALLY good and it's hard to put down. Loved it and would totally recommend it!

3 comments:

  1. Is this the same guy who wrote, "Widow for a Year"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. But, I didn't read it or it was one I started and didn't finish. Did you read it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I haven't read it, but I've got it coming through PBS.

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!!