Saturday, February 27, 2010

Outlander


I started this book thinking I wasn't going to like it. It was picked by my book club and when I read the reviews online there seem to a be a lot of negative things said and it was also listed as a romance novel. Then I receive the book and it's 850 pages long!!! I thought great this is going to take me forever to read. The book starts in the year 1945 with a man and wife who are recently reunited. She had been away working as a combat nurse. As I start reading about this couple I really wasn't into them. Then there is a sex scene between the two and it was very detailed and all I could think was this is going to be like one of those Harlequin novels and I'm not going to be able to read all 850 pages. As the story goes on Claire, the nurse, goes out for a walk and comes across this ancient stone circle. When she touches one of the stones she is transported back to Scotland in the year 1743. From this point on I am sucked into this book. As soon as Claire steps foot in Scotland her life is immediately in danger. She is rescued by a group of Highland warriors. From there her life takes an exciting turn after another. This books is filled with lot of suspense and action. I stayed up last night until 2 am just so I could finish the last 250 pages. I could not go to bed without finding out how this book ended. This book is also the first of a series. I believe there are 7 more books and I am definitely going to be reading the second one. Okay, here are the warning parts. There is a lot of violence, during this time period it was very common for people to be flogged so there is quite a bit of physical violence inflicted in this book. There is also a lot of sex. Some of it was mutual, some of it was not. With all that being said I really loved this book. I know we have talked about it before, but this is one of those books you just want to crawl inside of it and stay.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh that sounds good!! I'm gonna look it up on PBS!!

    And I so know what you mean about sex scenes in books. I'm reading "Skeleton's at the Feast" and the other night I found myself in the middle of a very detailed sex scene and Emma was laying beside me in bed. I felt so wrong and dirty reading that with her laying there! Ha! It was quite awkward..

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!!