Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hello! I'm Bonnie!

I am so excited for this blog! I have to admit it's been about a month since my last book. I'm hoping to get a little more reading in now that I'm not taking classes.

I'll start off by introducing myself. I'm a stay at home mother of three with a fourth on the way. I "met" Candace through blogging, and hopefully someday I'll get to meet her in person. We really need to schedule that photo shoot, lady! :-)

Anyway, you might be interested in my reading preferences so that you will better understand my recommendations. I read EVERYTHING! I love books, I will read any book, about any topic and with any type of content. But I will try to warn you if a book has particularly gruesome or unsettling content. Like for instance, I recently read Push: a novel by Sapphire. It was one of the most nauseating and sexually explicit books I have ever read... but I finished it. I can't and won't recommend it to anyone because it was so painful to read, but if you are looking for a book similar to "The Color Purple" but not nearly as long and sentimental then go for it. I think "The Color Purple" was the first book that I actually preferred the movie over the book... I hear Push is similar. Someday I might watch it.

I'm just so excited to have a steady feed of good books. I'm tired of looking around for good books in the bookstore, it's too hard to pick. This will be great to just pull this up and see what you guys are reading. By the way, have any of you read "Love in the time of Cholera"? I'm thinking I might try it out. But for now, I have "World without End" on my end table. I loved it's prequel "Pillars of the Earth". It will probably take me awhile to finish it, so I better get started. I'll keep you updated.

So, Candace, are we gonna set this up as a book club and rotate between us each month on a book, and put reviews up about other books we read.... or is this just for the reviews? I think we should do both!


4 comments:

  1. Let's do both!!! That sounds like so much fun! I'll do a post afterwards on that. I have a great idea for this month if that's something everyone wants to do. A friend of mine just read a book that's on the bestsellers and she said it was so fabulous that she read one night for 5 hours straight. She just could. not. put. it. down. It's called "The Help". Take a look at it on B&N or Amazon and let me know what you think and like I just said, I'll do a post suggesting that after this! :)

    I'm so excited, Bonnie, that you're joining us and that you read ANYTHING. That's awesome, I have a feeling you might have me reading something I wouldn't ordinarily and that's so what I'm looking for, because I think I get in ruts sometimes, which is why sometimes I go through spells of not reading much at all.

    And let's schedule the shoot! I'm all about going out there! Do you know when Dave's leaving yet? Is Katrina still all for it? I wish you guys could get some of your friends in on the deal, that way the ticket wouldn't be expensive! That's why I haven't been pushing the issue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was back and forth on whether I could be in on the deal since Dave's deployment date kept moving forward. At one point he was supposed to leave the first week of Feb. As of now, it looks like March so I'm going to talk to Katrina again and see if we can figure it out.

    I read a synopsis of "The Help" and it sounds good to me. Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie! Weird, 'cause I've "seen" you on Jessica Lowe's blog. Now I truly feel like a stalker...I'm starting to creep myself out!

    I'm excited to read some of your ideas because I love to try all sorts of books. This is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie. I have read "Love in the Time of Cholera". The book was okay. It's not one of those that I feel like I need to tell everyone to read but it wasn't horrible either. They did make it into a movie with Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men) and the movie was horrible. I know the book was an Oprah pick though and there are a lot of people who loved it.

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!!