Friday, January 22, 2010

Murder Takes The Cake


Okay let me start out by saying the only reason I read this is because it was FREE. It was one of Amazon's free books for the Kindle. With that being said this book was just okay. It's about a woman named Daphne Martin who has moved back to her home town after a terrible marriage and sets up a cake making business in her house. While making a cake delivery one morning she comes across a dead body. She works on trying to solve the murder plus family secrets of her own that have come up. Let's face it Daphne is no Kinsey Milhone (the heroine of Sue Grafton's novels) or Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich). Two of my favorite female murder/mystery characters.....oh, and I almost forgot Kay Scarpetta (Patricia Cornwell) but now I am totally getting off topic. It really makes no sense for a cake decorator to be investigating a murder, but that is just my opinion. One of the other things I didn't like about the book was how detailed the author went into describing how to decorate a cake. For example she would mention what size tip Daphne would use and then she would move on to use this size tip. I do have to admit though the book did make me hungry for cake. :) One other complaint I have and I'm not exactly sure who the complaint would be made to is that the print on this book was horrible. I don't know if it happened when it got switched over to Kindle or the actual book was like that but there were words missing and there was a lot of grammatical mistakes. I don't think I would be willing to give this author another try.

2 comments:

  1. Well, that's cool that they offer free books for the Kindle. It sucks that they're not GREAT ones, huh? :) I've never heard of this author or this book.

    I LOVE Patricia Cornwell, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! another Stephanie Plum fan! ;D

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!!