Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Piano Teacher

I've been looking at this book on the shelf at Target for awhile, and then when my Kindle recommended it to me, I had to download it.

The story takes place in Hong Kong and bounces back and forth between the early 1940s, when Hong Kong was invaded by the Japanese during WWII, and the early 1950s, when peace has returned. Claire is the piano teacher who comes to Hong Kong in the 50's with her older husband. She is hired to teach piano for the daughter of a rich Chinese family and although the story isn't at all about her teaching piano, it is about how her life becomes intertwined in those around her. She falls in love with a mysterious, English man, Will, who works for the Chinese family. As she continues her affair with Will, she also finds out about his life during WWII and the people of Hong Kong during that terrible time.

Throughout the book, you are transported back to the 40s and the author beautifully describes the social scenes of pre-war Hong Kong and the fall once the invasion happened. At this time, you are introduced to Will and his relationship with social butterfly, Trudy. You follow their glamorous lives and love affair and how it all comes crashing down once the war is in full swing.

It's part mystery, part historical fiction, part love story. A really good read :)

4 comments:

  1. Oooh... I've NEVER seen this book! And that is rare, believe me! LOL

    It sounds great, though, I'm going to have to check it out.

    Oh, and I was wanting to tell y'all too, earlier today, "Wench" came to me via UPS. So, as soon as I'm done with "The Nanny Diaries", I'm going to start that, so I'll let y'all know how it is! :) I can't wait to read it because of how much I loved "The Help". I hope it's as good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book about a year ago, and forgotten how much I liked it! Whenever I think about WWII I automatically think about Germany and not Japan, and this story really opened my eyes to what happened over there as well. I loved the way this story unfolded and how you learned about each character bit by bit! I really liked it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding me of that one, Candace! I had wanted to read it, forgotten about it, and didn't see anything that peaked my interest when I was at the store today....so I'm so excited you reminded me. I just downloaded it! Hopefully I'll start tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhh, I better hurry and finish "The Nanny Diaries" so we can be reading it at the same time!!! :p lol

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments!!